19 June 2010

Bluer than Ginger were her eyes...


Location:
Blue Ginger
6234 Sawmill Road
Dublin, OH 43017
(614) 792-3888

I love sushi. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  So when my friend Josh wanted to take me out one afternoon for an impromptu sushi feast, I jumped at the opportunity to try someplace new.  We ended up at Blue Ginger in Dublin, a small restaurant in the middle of a small strip mall next to a Buy Backs and a few doors down from BD’s Mongolian BBQ.  I was unimpressed by the exterior, and feared it would be some sort of modern-fusion bright lights and wacky music type place.  Upon entering the first set of doors, I was immediately corrected when we were confronted (yes, confronted!) by a gigantic wooden door that seemed as if it had been transplanted from a 15th century castle; I could barely open this door!


On the other side of this ancient-looking portal was a mahogany and wrought-iron fortress of deliciousness.  Beautiful leather booths, dim lighting and soft sitar-based mood music made me feel almost like Oriental royalty.  We were lead to a back booth by a gracious hostess, offered water, and then the magic began.  The hostess brought us two small plates with an individually wrapped warm cloth on each.  Superb!  I adore tiny details like that.  Josh did all the ordering, and we ended up with an overflowing plate of potstickers and two large platters of sushi.  The potstickers, which I had never had, were delectable.  The slightly crispy outside was nicely paired with a soft (but not mushy) meaty inside and complimented by a salty brown sauce. (*Note: when I went to Blue Ginger’s website to view the menu, I could not locate the potstickers anywhere.  I’m not sure if the menu is outdated or if they’ve been removed, but it would greatly benefit you to ask your server if they still have them should you desire the awesomeness!) 


After the appetizer came the main course – beautiful sushi.  I had been watching the Sushi Chef from our booth, and he was truly an artist.  There was no lump of wasabi or pile of shredded pickled ginger on our platters, rather, there was a beautiful ginger rose and a cute round nub of wasabi complete with hatch marks.  We indulged in the Crunchy Spicy Roll platter (salmon, tuna, yellowtail), the Mind Eraser (no rice, Chef’s special sauce, jalapeno, avocado and 4 types of fish), the Kamikaze (fried shrimp and tuna with tuna and eel on top), and the Scorpion King (soft-shell crab, tuna, cucumber and lettuce).  I already know what you’re thinking – “Oh my god, that’s a LOT of food!” and yes, it was a lot of food, but if you know anything about sushi then you’re full aware of the fact that not only are gourmet rolls smaller than generic store-bought rolls, but they also come in groups of 5-7.  For two people, that’s not really too much food!  We devoured almost all of it before I could take pictures… I was so happy to have all this gorgeous and remarkable sushi in front of me that I had to start enjoying it without delay!


After the main course, Josh being the spectacular human being that he is, decided we also need dessert.  He ordered the Key Lime pie (“Tastes like it came from a box in the freezer” was his only critique) and I had fried green tea ice cream, which, on the opposite side of a critique, tasted freshly made and scrumptious.  The last time I had fried ice cream was in 1998 at Chichi’s in Westland Mall – I was more than pleased to eat the gourmet Asian counterpart twelve years later!

Overall, despite a steep tab ($65+) for a meal that did not include alcohol, I have to say that Blue Ginger is an awesome restaurant.  My suggestion is to go for lunch and limit yourself to a few choice items, that way you can try something new and back it up with something “old” that you already like and not break the bank in the process.  I can understand why the prices are what they are; Sushi-grade fish is held to strict industry standards higher than regular fish, and only certain types of fish from certain areas can be used.  (For more information, click here).


Visit Blue Ginger's website by clicking here.

Overall Scores: (1-5, 1 being lowest, 5 highest)                    
Cleanliness: 5
Value: 3
Accessibility: 5
Friendliness: 4
Menu: 5

No comments: